Thursday, December 20, 2007

He's makin' a list, checkin' it twice...

OK, class. It's time for your holiday homework. Take a cue from James and put your New Year's Resolutions down on paper and be sure to post them in a spot in your home where they are easily within view of not only yourself, but whomever you share your abode with.

You want to stick to them, right?

I am just about to do this myself...

Guest Blogger - James Coulter

…scale down, James

It’s that time again. The end of another year, a time when we look back at what has been and look forward to what may be. We make resolutions, some we can keep, some we can’t. Here are my resolutions for 2008.

Drive less. Over the last year I have gotten much better about how much I actually drive. This past fall I added lights and reflectors and was able to ride my bike to work into November. For 2008 my goal will be to ride to work no less than three times per week and other than big weekly grocery trips I will not drive for trips shorter than 5km round trip.

Get involved in my community. My wife has told me more than once “if you don’t like what’s going on, do something about it”. My first step has been to get involved with …scale down, Windsor. For 2008 I will watch, attend or at least read the minutes of Council meetings. Also for 2008 I will volunteer with my community residents association.

Use public transit more. If there is an event downtown I want to attend, I will use the bus to get there (if my bike is not an option).

Start a garden. My backyard needs some sprucing up, so I will plant a vegetable garden rather than a cartoon landscape.

Continue to work on my home to improve its energy efficiency.

Visit the library twice each month. In 2007 we started to go to the library as a family activity. Our visits have been irregular, so for 2008 I will plan to hit the books more often.

Keep stirring the pot. In 2007 I sent a couple of letters to the editors at the Windsor Star. I kept that up in 2008 along with my work here. I think the Windsor blogosphere will have a big impact on the next municipal election and I want more Windsorites to get involved with the blogs and other activities to make a difference until 2010.

James Coulter is an Engineering Technologist with the School of Building, Design and Construction Technology at St. Clair College. His opinions are plentiful and may not reflect those of his employer or the teaching faculty at the college.

8 comments:

Mark Boscariol said...

Other than the garden and the library, (which I hope to get to in 2009) Can I just copy your list?

Especially the stirring of the pot!

"Good artists copy, great artist steal."
- Picasso

Chris Holt said...

All fantastic resolutions, James. I am going to add one more. I am going to scale down my non-essential spending so I can spend more time doing the things that actually enrich my life.

- Less money on the movie theatres in lieu of more time just hanging out with friends playing cards, music, etc.

- Less money on electronic toys in lieu of more time in face-to-face communications.

- Less money on pints at the pub in lieu of more time visiting friends (drinking their beer;)

- Less money on organized events for the kids in lieu of more time playing together.

- Less money on restaurants and more time cooking real food in my kitchen with my family.

This all adds up to less time performing paid labour which I don't enjoy and more time doing the things that I do.

Josh Biggley said...

Ok, I think Chris is living in my head. Your goals are almost verbatim from a book I am reading called The Simple Living Guide by Janet Luhrs. Bravo! Good goals Chris. I like everyone elses goals as well --- I'll take 2 of each!

Mark Boscariol said...

I'm hoping the less money in movie theaters doesn't include the support of independant Canadian and International film which allow for great discussions with friends afterwards.

Anonymous said...

Nice lists.
If anyone wants to help volunteer at a non-profit park this spring, summer and fall you can meet us Gateway Public Park on the corner of Cameron and Riverside Dr. W. We are there on Monday's, Wednesday's (starting at 6:30PM) and sometimes Saturday mornings (you can come just once a week or whenever you can make it out).
When its hot we provide drinks and a lot of times food (in the summer months anyway)it is a great way to help out your community and city.
If you are unsure of when to come or if it is called off for weather call 818-3630.

www.gatewaypublicpark.com

Chris Holt said...

Mark - the indies and the docs are the only films that get me into the theatres any more. I'm really looking forward to Dylan's Baby Blues in January!

Dave - What is it that you are doing out at Gateway Park?

Anonymous said...

Chris,
We have been transforming an abandoned rail spur (the rail tunnel actually goes under our park) into a 9.5 acre park.
We have what we call the "Muskoka trail" in the ravine with a soon to be built (depending on funds)amphitheatre for outdoor concerts and plays complete with staircase and seating pavilion.
We also have on the top portion the therapy gardens with multitudes of flowering perrenials and shrubs.
We would like to add some sculptures to the park (any artists are free to submit their work) and some fountains as well as the need for volunteers to trim shrubs, move and spread mulch and plant more flowers.

We will be petitioning the city to put a cross walk in front of Portofino Condo's so that the park can tie into the riverfront and to make both more accessable to the public.

Eventually we would like to expand across (south) University Ave to make a dog park and keep it as natural as possible. There is an abundance of wildlife there including foxes and their kits, rqbbits, groundhogs, racoons various birds etc.

I urge anyone and all to use the park and enjoy what has been built thus far. It is a public park for everybody to use and enjoy. In fact, we have heard from many of the seniors in the area that since the park has been built they come out of their apartments more to enjoy the weather and the beauty whereas before they were basically shut-ins. It is certainly a worthwhile cause and a great addition to the city.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to add that we are hoping to have a fundraiser later this year (2008) with all proceeds going to the continuing development of Gateway Public Park.
I am the current President of the park.